Friday, December 14, 2012

Shaken & Stirred; the Aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting

I woke up this morning, and the first thing I saw when I opened MSN was an article about a shooting...at an elementary school. I clicked on the article and began reading. The gunman went on a rampage, firing at students and faculty, all of them defenseless against him. That gunman took lives today. There were children shot and killed. They weren't just killed...they were murdered. Then he took his own life. The sick, twisted individual responsible for the massacre took his own life. Personally, I would have rather he lived. Then he would be sentenced to life in prison...or worse. 

I was slightly numb to the whole ordeal for a while. I logged onto Facebook this afternoon only to log right back out after seeing 95% of my Facebook news feed filled with posts about the shooting. I didn't want to see it. I went to work like this. Like I said; I was numb to it. 

Then it hit me. I'm not in school anymore, but I have family and friends that still are. My sister is in high school, and I know how the security is there. It's not the greatest. It could have been her. It could have been my cousins. Luckily it wasn't. 

When I got home from work my mom stood up, looked at me, and I burst out crying. The terror I feel now is like something I've only felt once, and that was the day of the 9/11 attacks. It's times like these that really make us value the people in our lives. I don't know what I'd do if that were to have happened to any of my family members. My heart goes out to all those who survived their children, grandchildren, family, friends, etc. They have to live with the heartache. 

To all of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting may you rest in peace. - 12/14/12

Always Yours,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment