Tuesday, May 14, 2013

South Carolina: Part 1 - Family Day

Hey there everyone! I'm sorry I haven't blogged in a while. I stopped with my SotD a few days before heading to South Carolina, and it has been a few days since I got back from my trip. 


Anyways.
Let me start by saying how proud I am of Joe. Being able to be a part of his graduation from basic training was one of the most memorable times of my life. :) 

Family Day (May 8th, 2013)

The day that Joe's family and I got to South Carolina we went to bed at 4:30am where we then had to wake up at 6:30am to go to the Fort's family day celebration. For those of you who don't know family day is a day where you and your soldier get to walk around base and spend time with one another. Rob, Ali, Julia, and I got to the base around 8:30am and went to Hilton Field where you meet up with your soldier. Let me tell you...that day gave me goosebumps. I got to watch 50 people from over 20 different countries become US citizens that day..

Anywho, after the little family day ceremony we were told we could go find our soldiers in their platoons. I didn't run like various other families. I didn't push or pull at others to get ahead of them. I made my way to Joe slowly. Walking through people hugging their relatives for the first time in months it finally hit me that I would be seeing my man in just a few short seconds. Joe's family and I made our way through the crowd until his dad came to a stop. He had found his son. 

I walked up to Joe last, and as soon as I got there he took me into his arms and hugged me so tight. It was a feeling I don't think I'll ever forget.

After we did that we walked around the base, and enjoyed all of the wonderful amenities that the fort had to offer. There were a lot of places in the food court we were able to check out. We checked out the PX, and after all of our shopping and such was done we traveled to two of the museums that were on base. While the first museum, a financial museum, wasn't very interesting I thoroughly enjoyed the second museum which was a museum about basic training itself. 

After a long day of riding around in a cramped Mazda 3 we had to drop Joe back off at his barracks. Fortunately we made it back to the area with some time to spare, and his dad casually led Ali and Julia away from us so we could have 20 minutes to ourselves. Let me tell you...after 2 and a half months of being away from one another those 20 minutes felt like 5 minutes. I could have walked around with Joe for an hour and it would have only felt like a sliver of time. 


To be continued... 

~ Always Yours,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment